Skip to main content

Absurdly Random B-School Musings

Day 138 of my B-school journey: 

Even as term 4 for PGPM 2018 is underway, it seems like yesterday when I entered the campus of Great lakes institute of management, Gurgaon. I think it will be fair for me to say that by now our learning curve has grown exponentially (I was actually looking for an even more superlative word) for having studied twenty two courses in these four and a half months. In the aftermath however, we have sixteen ‘not so frequently opened’ yet bulky pillow sized books for our perusal (I honestly don’t know when and how these will actually be used.)

But as I recount the seemingly short experience here, I struggle to describe how awesome this journey is panning out to be. I am unable to elucidate that feeling where, on a Friday night - 11:53 PM to be exact - you are still in the Academic block and ceaselessly trying not to miss the midnight deadline for a class group project and at the same time keeping your subconscious mind alert about the pre-reads you have for next day’s schedule that has an early morning lecture on Statistical methods for decision making and Financial accounting.
TGIF? Nah, not for a B-schools student. (Now I know why corporates crave for Fridays)

But all this seems lame and off-centre without the most important ingredient in this recipe for what I call the ‘B-school Khichdi’ – “The almost ready future Manager”.  Yes, the My B-school herd has been the most entertaining and the most Heteroscedastic (Prof. Bharadwaj, please forgive me for the usage) bunch of individuals. Ok, a quick recap - Heteroscedasticity refers to the circumstance in which the variability of a variable is unequal across the range of values of a second variable that predicts it. Thank me later.
These people have made life interesting and I would be irreverent if I don’t mention the kind of people I have encountered here. So, in no particular order, let me first introduce you to:

  • ·        The Future CEO. No, the batch’s current CEO. PGPM batch of 2018 knows who that is. This person is really good at everything without being the best at anything. We all know the phrase – “Jack of all trades and Mas…” (Just kidding. Or am I?) Talking of class participation, this person speaks regularly and intelligently in class without ever saying anything remotely controversial. Diplomacy is the word!
  • ·        Tanstafl. Ok sorry. I am getting ahead of myself - In economic theory, and also in lay man’s opinion, there is a notion that whatever goods and services are provided, they must be paid for by someone - that is, you don't get something for nothing. As Prof. Himadri would say, “There ain't no such thing as free lunch”. Or as I abbreviate it, Tanstafl.
    But we sure have “Free- wait for it-loaders”. These are the clever ones. They know the knack of delegating responsibility without giving a slightest notion that part of the onus is on them too. But we all sure have a lot of things to learn.
  • ·        Moving on, we have the ‘Friend-setters’ who have continued their trendsetting attitude of being jovial and cordial with everyone. But there are also people from the exact bipolar end. 
           
  • ·        The Solitary Reaper. No that is too optimistic a phrase for this person who thinks the world is an illusion and human interaction is a mystery. William Wordsworth would never want me to tag such a person with his beautifully written metaphor of a nightingale. The lone wolf would be a suitable phrase, yes. But who knows. Although termed aloof, they are the fiercest of friends and they have their own little world. They are focussed with full intent on one goal. Ok, too much philosophy. Apologies.


By the way this ‘One goal’ theory brings me to the most important subject of discussion that any B-school has to offer.

Placements.

Needless to say, even as I am drafting this, the Pre-Placement preparation scenario is in full swing and it never ceases to give jitters as soon as a JD from a firm that is offering jobs is released. But the most dominant part of this preparation has to the “Group discussion” prep. And it is hysterical at times.

I hope the PlaceComm doesn’t throw me as an outcast when I talk about the observations I have made in these sessions. The observations are actually on the participants. So I think I am safe.

Every group discussion (I’ve observed) has these. And I am one among them (so much for modesty). Here's a broad categorization of the four typical characters I have encountered in GDs so far:
  • ·        The “Know it all” sort – The genuinely, just, ridiculously smart person of the batch who often brings up unusual and weird (yet relevant) opinions on the table during a discussion. This person sure has a way of getting noticed, for the right reasons. Sadly, all we can do is look up to him/her.
  • ·        The “I agree with you” sort – Always finishes the other person’s sentences and adds the aforementioned phrase. Seldom has unique points but vehemently participates nonetheless.
  • ·        The “Search engine optimist” – This person has gone through that One link on the internet (Invariably the first link that pops up on a basic google search). No matter how remotely irrelevant the current topic of discussion is, this genius will try to bring in some fact or figure from that One link.
  • ·        The “Silencer” – The loudest noise this person makes is from his pen when he is scribbling stuff during the initial two minutes that are given to gather ones thoughts. This person has all the right points to discuss, but fails to bring them out in speech. Definitely noticeable when the group discussion is a fish market.


There are innumerable memories that have etched our minds since the past four and a half months and I am sure a lot more is in store for us as we head on to the placement season with vigour and zeal.

Godspeed! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you

Whenever November comes by, I am surrounded by a melancholic and cold atmosphere that has nothing to do with the winter season. But as far as my memory can reach out, winter used to be my favorite, of all the seasons throughout the year.  Waking up to the smell of brewing coffee my mother would make but at the same time trying my best to get out of my cozy rajaai (Hindi for a quilt) to brush my teeth and take a hot bath and then dressing up to go to school. I still remember how I used to literally bake my socks over the stove(for which I used to get scolded by my Maa almost every time!) to make it warm enough to put my feet inside a pair of heavenly hosiery! :) And then after coming back from school, how I would enjoy playing outside in the warmth of the sun till 6 in the evening and then coming home to some hot snacks my Maa would make for me. Yes. Winter was The Best Time of the year for me! What was more. It was Christmas season! Gifts, New clothes, Christmas cards, the Chris

Another Imperfect Musing

Why do I love watches? There is a small and seemingly lame fact to this. Before I tell you the fact, let me tell you a small incident from my past. My grandfather, Mr. W. Thomas Victor loved watches too. I may easily say that this trait runs in our family(maybe it does!) but it is not just a hereditary thing. It is certainly not an irony that my grandfather had a "Grandfather clock" at his place - A big free standing, weight driven pendulum clock with the pendulum held inside the tower of the case. Every half an hour it would do a ding-dong and every hour it would strike as many ding-dongs as the time it showed. I have such beautiful memories of me waking up at 12 in the night just to count the number of ding-dongs. My grandfather used to share certain things that would put an encyclopedia to shame. There was this time when I was about to start the usual brother-sister argument(for fun) and my grandfather stepped in. It all started with my sister using

Bus number 11.

"At the end of one HYSTERICAL journey #engineering here I am  at the start of another. #roadtrip to Mt. Abu!"- I Tweeted. I had always wanted to go out on a road trip. Well I had a lot of reasons. Let me just try to make a bullet list as to how I decided to go out on one: (Engineering has taught me something! :P)   Firstly,  My Dad was a biker and he had been on many road trips the longest being, a trip from Coimbatore(Tamil Nadu) to Goa. On their bikes! So I had  to go. That's a cool bike he had! We did not have the audacity  required resources to go on bikes so we pooled up to go in a 'compact Multi-Purpose Vehicle' (euphemism for  Chevrolet Tavera) for our trip to Mt. Abu.  My friends and I had been planning out a trip since our college second year. And planning was all we did! I could make another bullet list as to why we didn't/ couldn't work out our plans but we'll leave it at that. Engineering. Yes. Having slog