Skip to main content

Another Imperfect Musing

Why do I love watches?
There is a small and seemingly lame fact to this.
Before I tell you the fact, let me tell you a small incident from my past.
My grandfather, Mr. W. Thomas Victor loved watches too. I may easily say that this trait runs in our family(maybe it does!) but it is not just a hereditary thing.
It is certainly not an irony that my grandfather had a "Grandfather clock" at his place - A big free standing, weight driven pendulum clock with the pendulum held inside the tower of the case. Every half an hour it would do a ding-dong and every hour it would strike as many ding-dongs as the time it showed.
I have such beautiful memories of me waking up at 12 in the night just to count the number of ding-dongs.

My grandfather used to share certain things that would put an encyclopedia to shame.

There was this time when I was about to start the usual brother-sister argument(for fun) and my grandfather stepped in.
It all started with my sister using the phrase "wait a second" and me immediately starting a lame argument by saying- "One(Indicating that 1 sec is over)! Your time is up!" My grandfather immediately corrected me and said, "Have you ever wondered why people use the phrase 'tik-tok' to emphasize that time is running?". He then took both of us to that pendulum clock and said, "One second is not actually over when you simply say One." - He pointed us to the pendulum and said, "One second is over only after this pendulum - starting its swing from its highest position - returns to the exact same position. In short, if it starts from the left hand side's highest position, it actually takes half a second to reach the right hand side's highest position - 'Tik'. Then it takes the same half a second to come back to it's original place - 'Tok'."
To make his point clearer, he traced his hand with the motion of the pendulum and said,
"So one second is over with a Tik and then with a Tok"
My sister was obviously grinning from ear to ear that she did not lose the argument. And I was sulking.
But this special memory with my grandfather taught me to always keep wondering and ask questions.

Okay
I digress. A lot.

So. 
Why do I love watches?
Let me now share the "seemingly lame" fact I mentioned at first.
Like I told, my grandfather and I used to have really long discussions on different matters. In one such discussion (with respect to clocks and watches obviously)  he shared this fact regarding quartz crystals that are used in quartz watches. Since the 1980s quartz timekeepers have become the world's most widely used timekeeping technology, used in most clocks and watches, as well as computers and other appliances that keep time.
The reason being the frequency at which the crystal resonates is the most accurate.
Okay. Sorry.
In simple terms, the accuracy of a quartz watch is unmatched.
My grandfather went on to share the actual accuracy.
He told that the accuracy of a quartz watch is plus minus (+-) 15 seconds over a period of one month.
That is, it may either lag or lead the time it is showing by 15 seconds, in a month.

Years later, literally, I looked it up on Google and guess what? This fact was exactly how my Grandfather mentioned!!


Source: Wikipedia

I know it appears bizarre and outlandish - me sharing such a thing.
In a world where smartwatches are now "The in thing",  forget about accuracy, they do a lot of other stuff than just tell time. And it is more than Awesome.

But for me, I relate to the conventional quartz watches more. Not because they are elegant (for me, yes) and hold an antique value but because of the fact that they too are vulnerable to error. The plus minus(+-) sign used for denoting their accuracy is exactly what we humans are. I am prone to error just as my watch is. This fact is what reminds me that it is okay to be imperfect and still be of value. And that gives me a reason. 

My vulnerability and imperfection is what makes me Truly Human :)

My little family :)

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you

Whenever November comes by, I am surrounded by a melancholic and cold atmosphere that has nothing to do with the winter season. But as far as my memory can reach out, winter used to be my favorite, of all the seasons throughout the year.  Waking up to the smell of brewing coffee my mother would make but at the same time trying my best to get out of my cozy rajaai (Hindi for a quilt) to brush my teeth and take a hot bath and then dressing up to go to school. I still remember how I used to literally bake my socks over the stove(for which I used to get scolded by my Maa almost every time!) to make it warm enough to put my feet inside a pair of heavenly hosiery! :) And then after coming back from school, how I would enjoy playing outside in the warmth of the sun till 6 in the evening and then coming home to some hot snacks my Maa would make for me. Yes. Winter was The Best Time of the year for me! What was more. It was Christmas season! Gifts, New clothes, Christmas cards, the Chris

Bus number 11.

"At the end of one HYSTERICAL journey #engineering here I am  at the start of another. #roadtrip to Mt. Abu!"- I Tweeted. I had always wanted to go out on a road trip. Well I had a lot of reasons. Let me just try to make a bullet list as to how I decided to go out on one: (Engineering has taught me something! :P)   Firstly,  My Dad was a biker and he had been on many road trips the longest being, a trip from Coimbatore(Tamil Nadu) to Goa. On their bikes! So I had  to go. That's a cool bike he had! We did not have the audacity  required resources to go on bikes so we pooled up to go in a 'compact Multi-Purpose Vehicle' (euphemism for  Chevrolet Tavera) for our trip to Mt. Abu.  My friends and I had been planning out a trip since our college second year. And planning was all we did! I could make another bullet list as to why we didn't/ couldn't work out our plans but we'll leave it at that. Engineering. Yes. Having slog